Concrete grinding and polishing is simply the process of smoothing down rough concrete surfaces to become a smooth and shiny surface.
Concrete grinding requires the use of heavy duty concrete grinding machines and diamond-impregnated segments or discs, which resemble a durable sandpaper. During the concrete grinding process, the discs are gradually replaced with finer grit discs to produce a high shine or smoothness.
The concrete polishing process is simply the final stages of the concrete grinding process using the finest grit discs to achieve a high shine finish. During the final concrete polishing stage, a polishing compound may be applied to help clean any residue remaining on the surface and give the floor additional sheen. When used together, concrete grinding and polishing can result in a smooth, striking surface that resembles polished stone.
Here’s Why it’s So Great
There are several benefits to concrete grinding and polishing for floors in commercial and industrial applications. Because of the many advantages that polished concrete floors offer, concrete grinding and polishing is a long-term flooring solution.
Benefits of receiving concrete grinding and polishing services for your concrete floors include:
- Durability: Polished concrete floors offer all the benefits of regular concrete including great durability. Polished concrete floors hold up well, even in high traffic areas, as they will not stain, chip, or discolour. Concrete grinding and polishing also eliminates the need for messy waxing or frequent resurfacing.
- Low Maintenance: Grinding and polishing concrete floors creates a durable surface, which is much longer lasting than other surfaces including vinyl or stone tile. Polished concrete floors require little maintenance other than occasional sweeping or moping to remove dust or debris from the surface. Additionally, depending on traffic, polished concrete floors may need to be refinished every five to ten years to restore the shine and beauty. However, even this process is quick and requires little downtime.
- Low Cost: Concrete grinding and polishing can create a beautiful surface that resembles stone or other costlier materials. However, concrete grinding and polishing is quick and affordable when compared to the installation and material costs of other flooring options.
- Attractive Look and Aesthetic Appeal: Concrete grinding and polishing brings out the natural beauty of any type of concrete. In addition, when concrete stains are applied over polished concrete, they can provide the look of expensive polished stone including marble or granite. Polished concrete can provide a stylish and beautiful look for years to come with little up keep or maintenance.
- Environmentally Friendly: Concrete grinding and polishing is an environmentally friendly and sustainable flooring solution. There is a low amount of waste produced during installation and the long-lasting properties of this flooring as well as the ability for polished concrete to improve indoor air quality by reducing or eliminating dust, mould, and mildew.
- High Gloss, Reflective Surface: Grinding and polishing concrete floors creates a high gloss surface that reflects light. This can lead to the creation of a safer environment as well as reduce lighting costs even in large buildings, warehouses, or factories.
Where Polished Concrete Flooring is Used
Our concrete grinding and polishing services are ideal for a variety of applications in residential, commercial and industrial buildings. Some of these popular applications for polished concrete flooring include:
- Warehouse Floors
- Showroom Floors
- Factory Floors
- Laboratory Floors
- Office Building Floors
- School and University Floors
- Hospital Floors
- Retail Store Floors
To learn more about whether or not polished concrete floors would work in your home or work place, please contact us and we’ll be happy to discuss what your options might be.